If I go into Disability Studies At SU, what field do I receive my degree in?

Disability Studies is part of Cultural Foundations of Education. You will receive a Ph.D. or Master’s degree in Education.

Both Master’s and doctoral students are prepared to play leadership roles in the field of disability. For master’s students, future careers include administrative and policy positions in community service agencies, advocacy organizations, independent living centers, parent centers, planning councils, and government agencies. Doctoral students are prepared for a variety of academic, research, and policy positions. Although all students receive training in Disability Studies, each student’s program of study is different, depending on individual backgrounds and interests.

In addition to Disability Studies, those interested in the public administration and policy are directed to courses and faculty Syracuse University’s Maxwell School, and those interested in gender are encouraged to pursue studies in Syracuse’s Women and Gender Studies program and the Gender and Education concentration within Cultural Foundations of Education.

Students are prepared to conduct research and teach courses in both Disability Studies and at least one additional academic discipline. Since Disability Studies is a relatively new area of academic inquiry, with a small, but growing number of university programs, graduates should not expect to obtain full-time positions in Disability Studies.